Commodities Corner: Recent Twists and Turns
By Paul Springer
Gold has been stealing the commodities limelight in recent months, but the glittering drama queen isn’t the only commodity worth watching. Summarizing some of the latest insights, trends, and analysis relating to “the other commodities”:
Hedge funds have had mixed results when they stocked up on commodities this year, but Reuters says funds are making money on relative value plays.
ZeroHedge: Rare earths get attention, the Chinese get frisky, and prices go up. Magic.
The Economic Times says it’s now possible to trade precious metals without running into trouble with Shariah law.
SeekingAlpha: New Peter Schiff book takes bearish gander at the dollar, gold, and just about everything else.
Benziga notes that options are coming for Platinum and Palladium ETFs, almost certainly adding volatility. Which is good, since these two metals haven’t been volatile enough lately…
The Wall Street Journal says big commodity players are finding themselves in need of bigger reservoirs of capital.
MarketWatch rolls out three ways to trade the run up in just about any commodity.
Moneylife: What’s causing volatility in the “soft commodities”?
Spero News profiles an United Nations group discussing the possibility of requiring big grain players to disclose information in order to curtail price swings.
AQR Capital Management says its new fund balances fixed income investments with riskier assets including commodities and stocks.
ShareCast: Oil and gold hit the “Up” button together. Generally speaking, this is not rare – a weaker dollar typically pushes both upwards. This time, it’s the disconnect between a rising price in the former and a moonshot in the latter that’s getting the attention.
- Inside Commodities ConferenceThe Inside Commodities Conference is an annual event that brings together investors who are focused on the commodities markets....
- Weird Metals Bring New Opportunities, New ScammersWhen it comes to metal commodities, attention usually gets focused on gold, silver and platinum. But new opportunities...
- Tactical Perspective, August 24: CommoditiesYesterday Sugar traded above the key 20.00 resistance level and we are watching for follow-through above that resistance. ...
- World Commodities Week 2010World Commodities Week 2010 is an annual event dedicated to understanding the current commodities market, as well as the...
- Tactical Perspective, Aug. 30: Equities and CommoditiesLast week, the US Equity Market made two valiant attempts to drop through support at 1,040, (S&P Cash)...
Short URL: http://www.traderdaily.com/?p=6899